August 7, 2017

Bee Stings

When beekeeping, you should know about the dangers of beekeeping, such as being stung. Being stung by a bee is not fun.

Bee stings can cause severe allergic reactions. Luckily, I’m not allergic to bee stings. I just get the normal pain, redness, and swelling around the sting. I treat my bee stings by taking an oral antihistamine (like Benadryl) and also putting topical antihistamine and analgesic (Benadryl itch relief stick) on the bite area. The pill works better, but the stick on my skin works faster.

The most bee stings I have gotten in one day is seven. DO NOT bother bees after dark or when it’s raining out. That was a hard lesson.

My beekeeping mentor told me that if I am stung about once a month, I may eventually adapt to bee stings and suffer little or no affect from them.